No matter whether you’re working late, traveling to new city or town, or visiting clients in their homes, safety is job #1. Guard Llama’s single-button-press means help is easy to get anywhere and its discreet keychain device means it’s always close at hand.
However, there are a few key actions you can take to stay safe:
When working late in the office:
- If you are the only person left working, stay connected with co-workers, your boss, and family members so they are aware of where you are.
- If there are security personnel, alert them so they are aware that you will be there at a different time. You can also ask them to check on you every so often
When you leave the office (particularly at night):
- If security is present, ask if they can escort you to the parking lot or to public transportation.
- Have your keys in your hand and unlock the car door as soon as you get there. Remember to check around your car, beside and under it, as well as the front and back seats before getting in.
- Lock your car when you get in—before fastening your seat belt—and drive off right away.
- Always be aware of your surroundings and people around you. If your instincts give you concern, pay attention.
- Exercise caution on public transportation. Sit near the driver on a bus and in the conductor’s car on a train or subway, especially during off-peak hours.
- Grab an extra business card from the hotel’s front desk. The information on it will come in handy if you get lost or need to contact someone—especially if you don’t speak the local language.
- Avoid writing your name on hotel door hangers. Some hotels offer door hangers where guests can put in food or cleaning requests, but you should avoid leaving your name on them.
- If you go out to see the sights, don’t wear headphones. Headphones keep us from hearing what’s going on around us.
- Don’t use the breakfast room service cards that hang on your doorknob. Ordering food for one makes it obvious you’re alone. Instead, call for room service or go out.
- Make sure your cellphone is charged, so you can easily access maps or get directions.